Questions about hash house lingo

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Jul 15 01:54:21 UTC 2003

> > Archer Avenue was a major street in Chicago, a city known for many
> > slaughterhouses: refers to pork probably?
>
>Archer was not near the stockyards.

Maybe not; I don't know where the yards were in 1886, nor where Archer was.
But an association with meat [animals] is all that would be required.
Consider the following, for example, from a Bridgeport history Web-site --
http://www.uic.edu/orgs/LockZero/III.html --

<<Animal slaughtering was one of the earliest (and longest running)
economic activities. Many a herd was driven up Archer Road from the
southwest and from the south (Blue Island Plank Road, thence Archer) before
most of that traffic fell to the railroads. ... Robinson's Atlas of Chicago
(1886) shows that the downtown provision dealer, J. B. Turner, had his
packing plant located on Archer avenue by Poplar street. ....>>

-- Doug Wilson