The Norfolk Dialect

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Jul 17 00:41:48 UTC 2003

The posting of this information is not only ethical but very welcome. I'll order a copy of the book for my university library.
     Maybe some ads-l members who also subscribe to other linguistic websites could forward Peter Trudgill's message to them.

Gerald Cohen

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Peter Trudgill [mailto:peter.trudgill at UNIFR.CH]
	Sent: Wed 7/16/2003 7:19 AM
	To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
	Subject: The Norfolk Dialect

	I dont know if this is ethical - I apologise if not - but I suspect
	that a few North American dialectologists might be interested in my
	new book, and it certainly will not be advertised except in
	Britain......

	Peter Trudgill. The Norfolk dialect. Cromer, England: Poppyland
	Publishing (www. poppyland.co.uk), 2003. pp. 104. Ppbk £8-95. ISBN
	0-946148-63-5.

	This work looks at the linguistic history of the English county of
	Norfolk, at the different languages that have been spoken there, and
	at the development of this distinctive dialect of English over the
	last 1,500 years. It examines the dialect in the context of the
	dialects of Great Britain as a whole, and describes the vocabulary,
	grammar and phonology of both traditional and more modern forms of
	the dialect. It also looks at the role played by the Norfolk dialect
	in the formation of dialects of American English.
	--
	Peter Trudgill
	Professor of English Linguistics

	Telephone (UK):