brake drums

Dave Hause dwhause at JOBE.NET
Fri Jul 18 00:22:41 UTC 2003

Searching Google against 'brake drum music' gives a claim of about 29,000
hits, including an Italian group calling itself "Brake Drum Persussion"
(http://www.brakedrumpercussion.com/page/storia_gb.html ) claiming to have
started in 1983.
Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 12:44 PM
Subject: brake drums

My daughter was asked by a friend of hers in her high school marching band
if she would like to join the band.  It seems they need someone to play the
"brake drums".

I've heard of bass drums, kettle drums, and steel drums, but this is a new
one on me.

No, it has no relation to break dancing.  It seems that they take the brake
drums out of an automobile and create a musical instrument out of them.

Of course this may be a snare drum and a delusion, which is to say, we were
having our legs pulled.  I might note that the band member in question also
claims to play the piano in the marching band.  But on the other hand, this
band
is capable of almost anything except proper spelling, so it may be for real.

So, if in the future any lexicographer on the list finds a need for a
citation for this sense of "brake drums", remember, you saw it here first.

                        - Jim Landau

Aside to Mark Mandel:  the same bandmember cited above also plays the hammer
dulcimer.  I am waiting to hear her say she plays it four-handed.  Yes, her
name is Nicol(e).

PS.  I just got one of those "Nigerian scam" e-mails and forwarded it to the
Secret Service as suggested.  There was one interesting usage in the letter:
"I am Isaac Tabidis the son of John Tabidis a farmer in Zimbabwe who was
recently murdered in the land dispute in my country".

Was it John or Isaac who was recently murdered?