19th c. language phrase

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Jul 23 19:58:56 UTC 2003

Not possible?  Of course it is, and it is extremely common in both
Appalachian and African American English.  To quote Wolfram and
Schilling-Estes, _American English_ (Blackwell, 1998):  "The form 'done'
may mark a completed action or event, ... as in ... 'I done forgot what you
wanted.' ... The 'done' form may also add intensification ... as in 'I done
told you not to mess up.'  This form is typically found in Southern Anglo
[read South, South Midland, and Appalachian] and African American
vernaculars" (p. 333).

I cite the book because the writer of the Kentucky-based novel may want to
check it for other regional usages.

(Maybe David meant he would NOT be surprised?  The only thing that
surprises me is the late date of the OED cite; but since the usage is
primarily oral, it might not have shown up in print earlier.)