19th c. language phrase

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 24 00:36:18 UTC 2003

At 12:18 AM +0100 7/24/03, Tony McCoy O'Grady wrote:
>On Déardaoin, Iúil 24, 2003, at 00:08 Europe/Dublin, J. Eulenberg wrote:
>
>>What are HDAS and DARE?
>
>As a newcomer to this list, and as someone living in Ireland, I would
>hazard a guess at...
>Historical Dictionary of American Slang
>Dictionary of American Regional English
>... two books I've never heard of, but found references to after an
>intuitive web-search.
>
>I'd love to be right.

And you are.  Except that they're not actually books, but in each
case a partially completed multi-volume compendium.  The former is
also sometimes referred to on the ads-l as RHHDAS, for the Random
House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, but now that Random
House has turned its back on this and similar projects, we're less
likely to include those two little letters.  Both projects will in
fact be completed, at some point.

larry