Baghdad-on-the-Hudson

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Thu Jul 24 04:31:24 UTC 2003

Date:    Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:33:20 -0400
From:    Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Baghdad-on-the-Hudson (NY Sun, 1903?)

    "Baghdad-on-the-Hudson" was O. Henry's nickname for New York City.
It's not used much now in 2003.  (Can't figure out why.)  The
nickname/story appeared in THE FOUR MILLION (1906).
    From ProQuest's LOS ANGELES TIMES:

My memory (which is not an authoritative source) says O. Henry also used
Gotham on the Subway.

A quick google brings up stories in which he used "Gotham" but not the
full phrase.  The stories aren't dated.  (Well, "Man About Town" is, but
I somehow think it was originally published earlier than 2003.)

It also brings up references to Stephen King's "Lunch at the Gotham
Cafe" in several languages.

I suspect I need to look at actual printed books, to find the references
I believe are there.

Dan Goodman dsgood at visi.com
journal http://dsgood.blogspot.com
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.