Joe Sixpack

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 29 19:06:04 UTC 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 03:49:02 EDT Barry Popik escribbled:

>JOE SIXPACK
>
>  Not the earliest, but for what it's worth.
>

>   10 September 1973, COSHOCTON TRIBUNE (Coshocton, Ohio)

I don't know if it's related, but the Making of America database has 41 books
with the phrase "John Chinaman", of which the following is a sample:

page 321
John Chinaman passes along, and, seeing books, and being of a literary turn,
ceases to jabber in the language of Confucius, joins the outskirts of the
company, and risks the integrity of his yard-long queue among the 'outside
barbarians.'

pages 324f
John Chinaman, you, John, there [page 325-Ed] by that post, look here, my
good fellow, I've got something to tell you," etc. Thus I traveled, as it were,
over all Creation, calling by name all the different nations I could think of,
recognizing their
representatives before me, and I felt unspeakably happy in the fact, that
throughout creation's vast realm I could not find a rebel to whom I could not
extend the hand of hearty Christian sympathy,

            James A. Landau
            systems engineer
            FAA Technical Center (ACB-250/BCI)
            Atlantic City Int'l Airport   NJ   08405   USA