"on the up and up"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Jul 31 02:42:40 UTC 2003

When you do a Google search, a substantial proportion of the hits
that first come up for "on the up and up" have the  meaning "on the
increase" or "improving." A lot of these are from UK, Commonwealth,
or other foreign sources, but quite a few are American, too (see
below). I wasn't aware of this sense, and I haven't found any
dictionary that lists it -- for me, "on the up and up" can only mean
"honest and straightforward." Does anyone know how long this has been
around?

Geoff Nunberg

Distribution Daybook: On the Up and Up
Independent Publishers Group (IPG) in Chicago, Ill., was one of the
biggest success stories of 2002. According to president Mark
Suchomel, "We had increases over 20%."-- Publishers Weekly

Takeovers on the Up and Up
Long available but little used, the homepage takeover may finally be
hitting its stride as an ad format. -- Rich Media News

Activity fees on the up and up at Lester Prairie schools -- Howard
Lake-Waverly-Montrose Herald Journal  (Minnesota)

Fees on the up-and-up
Radio stations, some TV stations and winners of permits to build new
broadcast facilities would pay higher regulatory fees in 2001 under
proposed charges unveiled by the FCC. -- Broadcasting and Cable

Quarterback Brooks is on the up and up
Aaron Brooks has been a closely watched man during Virginia's
preseason practice period, and the reviews so far from his teammates
and coaches are good. -- The Sabre, UVa sports newspaper