A simple question.

Yass Shoji yass67 at POPPY.OCN.NE.JP
Thu Jul 31 16:25:20 UTC 2003

Thank you so much for your answer! So they can be quite different! And the
use of "Chinese population problem" should be treated with care.

I asked this question long time ago to my British English tutor at the
London University, but he couldn't answer...

Thanks for your help!
Y.S.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 12:54 AM
Subject: Re: A simple question.

header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Re: A simple question.
-----

>         Not necessarily.  "China's population problem" refers specifically
to a problem that the country of China has with the size of its population
(presumably, that the population is too large).  A "Chinese population
problem" is a problem that Chinese people have with the size of their
population.  A Chinese population problem, therefore, could be either a
population problem in the country of China or a population problem involving
Chinese people elsewhere.  However, the context should make clear which
meaning is intended.