Hoagies revisited

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Jun 1 06:03:06 UTC 2003

I've written an article on hoagies that should appear in Verbatim some time
in the future.

This NYT article conflates two different origin stories, one clearly false
and one likely true.

The Hog Island shipyard story just doesn't work. The Hog Island shipyard was
a WWI shipyard. It opened in 1917 and was closed by 1925. It was not
operating during the Depression and was closed 20 years before the earliest
known appearance of the word "hoagie" in 1945 (citation found by Mr. Popik).

The Al DePalma story, however, is probably the leading contender for the
origin. DePalma claims to have coined the term "hoggie" for a big sandwich
on an Italian roll when he was a jazz musician in the 1920s. He thought you
had to be a hog to eat one. During the depression DePalma abandoned his
musical career and in 1936 opened up a sandwich shop selling "hoggies." This
form fits Popik's findings--he has found "hoggie" from 1941. It also
parallels the origin of "hero" in deriving its name from a reference to the
sandwich's size. Eames & Robboy (American Speech, 42/4, Dec 67) interviewed
DePalma and tell his story--without using his name, however, referring to
him by his moniker "King of the Hoagies."

The online Labov paper appears to have a typo. It should be "WWII", not
"WWI". The earliest data cited in the paper is from 1945.