Local pronunciation and anglicization.

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon Jun 2 15:21:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Bethany K. Dumas wrote:

#On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Mark A Mandel wrote:
#
#>So, Beth, smiley? Or is that pronunciation in fact unattested among
#>residents?
#
#I'm not Beth - I'm Bethany

Whoops, sorry!!!

#- but I'll answer. I have NEVER heard an
#Arkansawyer rhyme the name of the state with Kansas. I've also never
#heard an Arkansan do that. (Vance Randolph once told me that an Arkansan
#is a person who does not know where he is from - but I think he lost that
#battle.)

OK, I'm answered. Thanks.

-- Mark A. Mandel

To reply by email, remove the obvious spam-blocker from my edress.