"herring broth"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 4 01:23:06 UTC 2003

At 9:07 PM -0400 6/3/03, Baker, John wrote:
>         "Prosecutrix" was indeed used as the feminine of
>"prosecutor" (a word no longer thought to require a separate
>feminine form).  Prosecutor/ix meant something like "complaining
>witness."
>
>         I'm still mystified by the herring-broth reference.  The
>best I can make of it is that John may have been calling Mary a
>fishwife, but while that would be a personal insult I don't see why
>it would be a gross national insult.
>
>John Baker

Just speculating here--but perhaps herring was considered more of a
working-class Irish food (maybe especially for breakfast?) than a
working-class English food?  And to presuppose that the Gibsons would
be breakfasting on the broth of the herring, well, that would be the
last straw.  As I say, I'm just guessing.