CLEP

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Mon Jun 9 00:22:17 UTC 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

>Aha, from the '80s--about 25+ years after I was a college freshman.  But
>it's telling that this is a "standardized test," presumably multiple
>choice?  I was exempted not on the basis of my knowledge of grammar, word
>analogies, and the like, but on my ability to write a coherent, well
>organized, AND mechanically "correct" argumentative essay--the
>old-fashioned test of whether one did or did not need Freshman English!  I
>suspect this is what Bethany had to do too.

I don't really remember - but I think my As in high school English did
it. I was place in an experimental "honors" composition class. The
department head, may his soul rest in peace, was much too busy and much
much too important to teach a freshman class, so we spent most of our
time in the library. I learned more about using the MLA Bibliography than
most people know by the time they have finished the first year of grad
school. I was astonished when I got to grad school and met classmates who
had never used the MLA bibliography.

Bethany