If you like the greengrowers' apostrophe,

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 10 18:22:22 UTC 2003

At 12:58 PM -0500 6/10/03, Erin McKean wrote:
>There's one on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, just at the exit to
>McCormick Place:
>
>TAXI'S ONLY.

...which conforms to the tendency we've discussed of favoring the
greengro*c*ers' (sorry!) apostrophe in vowel-final contexts.
"Taco's" is a favorite (with or without lengua en salsa).  Of course,
this can be motivated by a desire to avoid the to-e-or-not-to-e
question.  (Is that "taxis" or "taxies"?  Better be on the safe side:
taxi's.)  Which isn't to say we don't also get "SALAD'S" and such,
just that it's more prevalent after a vowel.

larry