FW: Fwd: FW: NAACP WINS

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jun 13 09:46:21 UTC 2003

To add a bit to what Joanne says (cc'd below), from experience on the Oxford
American dictionaries . . .

We were contacted in the late 90s by someone who wanted OUP to change its
treatment of the n-word.  In fact, she wanted the entry removed, the basic
idea being that it is "not a word"; she referred to recent press coverage on
the effort to get it out of dictionaries, including the involvement of the
NAACP in this.  I pointed out that it is indeed a word, in fact a word heard
many times daily in the US, and quite often by blacks, who seemed to use it
in a non-derogatory way.  I was thinking of its use by Chris Rock, for
instance, and other black comedians.  We finally sent a letter in reply
stating our policy on _nigger_ and all racial and ethnic slurs, which was
essentially that it is not our job as lexicographers to judge, but merely to
report, and that it is not for us to decide or write about, in the
dictionary, at least, how we might wish the language to be.

So we did some further research on the n-word, checked with some black
colleagues, and wrote an entry and accompanying usage note for the New
Oxford American Dictionary in light of this.  We got advice from our
academic advisory board, including especially (on this particular item) Ron
Butters and Joan Hall.

The relevant parts of the NOAD entry follow:

nigger  [pron.]  n.  derogatory  a contemptuous term for a black or
dark-skinned person.

[etym.]

USAGE: the word ~nigger~ was used as an adjective denoting a black person as
early as the 17th century and has long had strong offensive connotations.
Today it remains one of the most racially offensive words in the language.
Also, referred to as 'the n-word,' ~nigger~ is sometimes used by black
people in reference to other black people in a jocular or disparaging
manner, or some variant in between (in somewhat the same way that _queer_
has been adopted by some gay and lesbian people as a term of self-reference,
acceptable only when used by those within the community).

It is important to constantly remind the public (and our colleagues, and
ourselves) that it is the main job of synchronic lexicography to report, to
hold up a microphone to the language, record what we hear (and read), and
then present the most frequently occurring and salient facts in the space
allotted.

Frank Abate