QUEER, FAG, and the "N" Word

Fri Jun 13 14:22:00 UTC 2003

I agree almost completely with Larry here, except that there is apparently
some evidence (reported here some months ago by Jesse Sheidlower and others)
that even "fag" may be being "reclaimed." My own experience is that it is not so
much that "fag" is being reclaimed as that the negative valence is
intrinsically less powerful than that for "nigger" -- hence people tend to use it a
LITTLE more freely. (As in my subject heading above -- even on ADS-L I balk at
putting "nigger" in the subject heading.)

In our culture, in fact, "nigger" is a special word with a negative valence
greater by far than that for any other word--even other ethnic slurs such as
CHINK and KIKE; likewise, CUNT and TWAT are less unutterable. Even innocent
words that merely sound like NIGGER are becoming taboo (e.g. "niggardly"). Note
also that the in-group self-referential uses of NIGGER generally spell it NIGGA,
as if to differentiate this use from a derogatory use.