Antedating of "Hacker"

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 13 18:44:56 UTC 2003

The Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at MIT published a long series of
numbered "Artificial Intelligence Memos".  At some date unknown to me this series
become known as "Hacker's Memos" or "Hakmem" for short.

Here are dates for two of the memos.  Again I don't know when they started
being called "Hacker's Memos".

M. Blum, A. Griffith, and B. Neumann. <i>A stability test for configurations
of blocksi>. Artificial Intelligence Memo Nob>. 188, Massachusetts Institute
of Technology, February 1970.font>

Horn, B. (1968) "Project MAC, Focusing,", MIT Artificial Intelligence Memo No
. 160, May 1968

E. Hecht, Optics, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1987. [5] B. K. P. Horn,
"Focusing", Artificial Intelligence Memo No. 160, MIT, May 1968. [6] B. K. P.
Horn, Robot Vision, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1986. [7] R. A. Jarvis, "Focus
optimization criteria for computer image processing", Mi- croscope 24, pp.163,
1976.

                      - Jim Landau

PS to Mark Mandel

<begin quote>
This was found at <A HREF="ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-10/docs">
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-10/docs</A> in the file "pdp10.song". Author unknown.
Oh Lord won't you buy me a PDP-10
My friends all hack Vaxen; I must make amends
Hacked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends
So Lord, won't you buy me a PDP-10

Oh Lord won't you buy me an RM-03
Faster disk access is trying to find me
I wait for Disk Ready each afternoon 'till 3
So Lord, won't you buy me an RM-03

Oh Lord won't you buy me a disk pack so round
I'm counting on you, Lord, please don't let me down
God, I need a scratch pack; there's none to be found
So Lord won't you buy me a disk pack so round.

<end quote>