Trudgill in Vocabula

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Jun 16 19:25:03 UTC 2003

Of course, to read it we'd have to subscribe.
If the following statement, which I've copied (without permission) from
the site, reflects accurately the orientation of the Review, I think
Dennis and others familiar with the prescriptivist tradition have a
prettty good idea what we'd find there.

    Even today -- subjected as we are to the apotheosis of popular
    culture -- using the English language respectfully helps us maintain
    a sense of ourselves and our values. To do otherwise, to disregard
    the ways of our words, is to forsake our humanity and, perhaps, even
    forfeit our future. A society is generally as lax as its language.
    And in a society of this sort, easiness and mediocrity are much
    esteemed.