Tuna Fish Sandwich (1915); Columbia Univ. drops WP & CSM

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 16 21:07:17 UTC 2003

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY "PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS" DATABASES--I returned, hoping for MORE databases, but now have FEWER.  The CHICAGO TRIBUNE and LOS ANGELES TIMES aren't here yet.  The WASHINGTON POST and CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR are no longer here, either.  I was told that Columbia had a trial subscription only.  I pointed out to the librarian that Columbia University has a journalism school, allegedly one of the best in the country, and that the WASHINGTON POST is _necessary_.
   A quick check of AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE shows that it still hasn't added any more publications to the database,
   Bad developments.

TUNA FISH SANDWICH

   Andrew Smith is researching "tuna fish."
   I just received a copy of Becky Mercuri's excellent SANDWICHES THAT YOU WILL LIKE, a companion to the WQED Pittsburgh tv show.  From pg. 15 on Tuna Fish:

   As sandwiches became heartier concoctions,so did the tuna fish sandwich. Popular with children and teenagers, instructions for a tuna fish sandwich were given as "Flaked Fish Sandwiches" in the various editions of _Young America's Cook Book: A Cook Book for Boys and GIrls Who Like Good Food_, first published in 1938.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS, minus two newspapers)
  THE SANDWICH ACQUIRES MERIT; It Now Includes Strange Combinations of Food And Has Rare Exotic Names, but New York's Hungry Millions Like It Known by Numbers and Code. A Chance for Gambling. ; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Jan 29, 1928; pg. 126, 1 pgs

  Display Ad 23 -- No Title; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Jul 24, 1927; pg. 24, 1 pgs

  Display Ad 34 -- No Title; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Dec 26, 1915; pg. 72, 1 pgs

  Display Ad 41 -- No Title; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Feb 14, 1915; pg. X12, 1 pgs:
TUNA FISH--Fountain quality, white meat, for salads, sandwiches, &c., doz., $1.75; flat can.....15c