"ad hominem" attacks? I don't think so

Russ McClay mcclay at TAOLODGE.COM
Tue Jun 17 16:44:13 UTC 2003

With due respect to the long-time posters and members
of the American Dialect Society:

I feel that Mr. Fiske has been, to a very minor degree,
personally attacked on this list over the last couple of
days.

True, most of the thread attacks his rap, and scholarly so
with intelligence and experience; nevertheless mixed
in have been a few unkind, and in my opinion, unnecessary
remarks or innuendoes or attempts at ridicule.

I'm a layman and I love hanging with you pros; I guess
I hold y'all to a bit higher standard.

Public repudiation can be tactful and diplomatic.

Probably foolish.

Anyhow...just a squawk from the periphery.

Russ