Windy City (8 Nov. 1881?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 19 16:18:15 UTC 2003

   I just looked further down the column.  "Windy City" refers to Chicago.  We now have 1881--not even close to the 1893 fair.

  8 November 1881, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER (Ohio), pg. 5, col. 1:

   _Vanderbilt's First Fast Train._
SPECIAL DISPATCH TO THE ENQUIRER.
   NEW YORK, November 7.--The New York Central's first twenty-five-hour train to Chicago started punctually at eight o'clock this morning from the Grand Central Depot.  It was made up of a baggage car, a coach, two sleepers and a drawing-room car, with Henry Mulligan's engine 52.  Few passengers had taken seats for intermediate stations.  Tickets to Chicago are only sold unless there are seats.  Five minutes before the train started a few seats were left.  Up to late this afternoon the train was running on time.  From Buffalo the train carries mail matter which leaves New York with the 4:45 a. m. train.  The fast train from Chicago is slower.