RHHDAS

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Jun 20 16:26:33 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 12:12:11PM -0400, George Thompson wrote:

>  Volumes?  Does this mean that there is a plan for a fourth,
> supplementary, volume?  I would be surprised if Lighter's
> material for P-Z was so much more extensive than his
> material for A-G that it would require 2 volumes.  It would
> be nice to learn that the appearance of vols. 1 & 2 from
> that infamous publishing house provoked the unearthing of
> enough additional material A-O to fill a fourth book.  I
> hope that it doesn't mean that OUP is planning to change the
> format to octavo from quarto.  It would be well to have all
> volumes more or less the same height.

It would have been best if Random House's Volume II had gone
from H-P instead of H-O, in which case we probably could have
ended up with three roughly equal volumes. Instead, the remaining
two volumes will be about the size of Vol II, i.e. several hundred
pages shorter than Vol I.

Aside from page count the plan is for the remaining volumes to be
the same size.

Jesse Sheidlower