"Hot Dog" mangling; NPG's 1880 "Windy City"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 21 22:10:55 UTC 2003

"HOT DOG" MANGLING

   This newspaper mangling is a classic--and we're not even at July 4th.  From the Dow Jones news service:

Lifestyle
History of the hot-diggety dog
Ben Steelman
06/11/2003
Star-News - Wilmington, N.C.
4D

Who invented the hot dog? It's a long story.
Residents of Frankfurt-am-Main, Germany, date the frankfurter sausage from the year 1484. Whatever the date, the little sausages had been around for centuries by the time German immigrants began selling them on the streets in New York's Bowery district, perhaps as early as the 1860s.

By 1871, Charles Feltman, a German-born butcher, was selling frankfurters in milk rolls from a stand on Coney Island. By the 1880s, other stands were popping up, and because of their German association, their products were called "dachshund dogs."

Some sources still credit cartoonist Harry Stevens for coining the word "hot dog" in a newspaper comic some time in the early 1900s. According to historian Bruce Kraig, however, the phrase first appeared in The Yale Record for Oct. 19. 1895. Mobile frankfurter carts, selling "dachshund dogs," had sprung up around Yale University's campus in the 1880s. Before long, students called them "dog wagons." (One of these wagons was christened "The Kennel Club.") From "dachshund dog" to "hot dog" was a short leap.
   ("Harry Stevens" replaces "Thomas A. Dorgan."  Bruce Kraig gets credit for my work.  A great day for newspapering--ed.)

The American Museum of Natural History, researching the evolution of the hot dog, identified several regional variations. Among these:

THE DELI DOG: served flat and topped with sauerkraut and deli mustard.

THE STREET CART DOG: with onion sauce, deli mustard and sauerkraut.

THE CHICAGO RED HOT: with yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish, onion, tomato, pickle spear, sport peppers and a dash of celery salt.

THE DODGER DOG OR FENWAY FRANK: the classic ballpark dog, with mustard and relish.

THE CORN DOG: introduced at the 1942 Texas State Fair, an all- beef frank dipped in corn batter, fried, and often served with mustard and slaw.
   (The corn dog was not invented in 1942--ed.)

NPG'S 1880 "WINDY CITY"

   My finding of "Windy City" in the 17 July 1880 CINCINNATI TRIBUNE caused me to take a second look that the "Windy City" in the 17 July 1880, pg. 7, col. 3, NATIONAL POLICE GAZETTE.  This was found on the AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE (see ADS-L archives).  The citation refers to "the little village of Degraff, Ohio," not Chicago.
   FWIW, a check of the actual page shows that the CINCINNATI ENQUIRER is mentioned in the story in column one.