Dayton, Degraff (Ohio) "Windy Cities" (April, July 1880)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 23 16:19:12 UTC 2003

   Greetings again from the Library of Congress.  I read through July 1880 CINCINNATI ENQUIRER again, then started to April (the Chicago Convention was June) before I needed a little break.

   17 April 1880, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 4, col. 5:
_WIND, RAIN AND HAIL._
_Buildings, Fences, Trees and Growing Crops_
_Damaged and Destroyed by Yes-_
_terday's Storm._
SPECIAL DISPATCH TO THE ENQUIRER.
   DAMAGE TO PROPERTY AT DAYTON.
   DAYTON, OHIO, April 16.--So far as gales are concerned, this city to-day has fairly earned the title of "windy."

   (The following item was in the 17 July 1880 NATIONAL POLICE GAZETTE, and was found on the AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE.  It does come from the CINCINNATI ENQUIRER after all--ed.)

   4 July 1880, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 1, col. 2:
_LOUIE'S LOVE._
_Strange Attempt to Elope With a_
   _School-Girl._
_A Social Sensation Which Agitates the Town_
   _of Degraff, Ohio._
SPECIAL DISPATCH TO THE ENQUIRER.
   BELLEFONTAINE, OHIO, July 3.--This little Village of Degraff is situated in the beautiful Valley of the Miami, ten miles west of Bellefontaine, and, while it only has a population a little less than one thousand, according to the veracious Census Enumerator, it certainly can develop enough pure cussedness within its limits to entitle it to be classed as the little "Windy City," a name not inappropriate, as every now and then a cyclone or tornado strikes and almost annihilates it.