"Windy Old Town of Chicago" (Cincinnati Enquirer, March 1879)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 25 16:28:59 UTC 2003

   Oops, my bad.  In the old American Dialect Society archives is this:

Date Sent: Friday, October 16, 1998

Barry gives the following bit of verse as a near-hit for "Windy City"
(Chicago):

     ==============

However, I recently found this in PUCK, 5 March 1870, pg. 12, col. 3:

There was a young man from Chicago,
It was strange how he did make his jaw go,
One nice day he did to his pa go,
Saying, "Really, father, does ma know
   If for crime and deceit
   Any city can beat
This windy old town of Chicago?

   PUCK didn't exist in 1870.  I had meant to type 1879.  PUCK is not yet on the AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE, so I went back and checked the reel.  There's a surprise at the end!
   5 March 1879, PUCK, pg. 12, col. 3:

THERE was a young man from Chicago,
It was strange how he did make his jaw go,
One nice day he did to his pa go,
Saying, "Really, father, does ma know
   If for crime and deceit
   Any city can beat
This windy old town of Chicago?

"If you know, dear father, now tell me,
You own son, William--you well may.
Don't be an old fogy, and "sell" me,
Or get on your ear and assail me."
   But his father was tight,
   And puffed at his pipe,
   Articulating "Wilhelmj."
      --_Cincinnati Enquirer_.

   CINCINNATI ENQUIRER!  Over a year before the nominating conventions of 1880!
   I gotta go back to the Library of Congress.  I'd like to remind Chicago that I make no money for my research--not even bus fare.