Windy City (13 November 1879)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 26 23:28:13 UTC 2003

   Greetings again from the Library of Congress.
   Bad news first:
   That 1889 "fudge" that I cited yesterday didn't pan out.
   The NEW ORLEANS ITEM didn't pick up Walter Winchell's columns in 1927; I had spotted a 1931 syndication.  The NYPL non-collection of the NEW YORK EVENING GRAPHIC remains a disaster.
   That "windy old town of Chicago" limerick in PUCK couldn't be spotted easily in the CINCINNATI ENQUIRER.
   Fred Shapiro just creamed my citation of "roses are red."
   Good news next:
   There's a column-long, 7 September 1879 article on "Circus Slang" that I'll re-type when I return home and have time.
   Finally, an earlier "Windy City" has been found...It's titled THE CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, but CINCINNATI "DAILY" ENQUIRER was also used on the top of the pages.  Not that there's been confusion.

   13 November 1879, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 1, col. 1:

   _GRANT._

_His Big Boom at Chicago._

_A Warm and Wet Welcome to the_
   _Windy City._