Trick or Treat (1939); Tar Heels; Snickerdoodles; Mulligan Stew; Pimiento Cheese

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Jun 29 19:45:57 UTC 2003

> TRICK OR TREAT
>
>    We have an antedate for this important American custom.
> Helena, Montana.
> Just amazing.
>
>    5 November 1939, HELENA DAILY INDEPENDENT (Helena,
> Montana), pg. 4, col.
> 3:
>    Mr. and  Mrs. D. S. Billett held open house Tuesday
> evening, October 31,
> when groups of children from all parts of town called to play
> "trick or treat."
>  Various games entertainment and refreshments made Halloween
> a memorable
> occasion.

You might want to check out the 31 Oct 1937 (may not actually be the 31st,
the last issue in Oct 37) issue of the Saturday Evening Post. It features a
cover illustration (not a Rockwell one) titled "Trick or Treaters." I can't
find a copy in any of the libraries I have access to and can't verify if the
title is actually given in the issue or if it was applied to the work at a
later date.

I've seen reproductions of the cover, but not the actual issue.