Mason jar (1857?, 1902); Automat (1857, 1902)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 1 14:22:54 UTC 2003

MASON JAR

   The revised OED has 1885 for "Mason fruit jar."  John Landis Mason was a
resident of Brooklyn, NY, so I thought I'd hit this one out of the park.  But
I couldn't.  I'll check the American Periodical Series later.
   From an obituary in the BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, 28 February 1902, pg. 3:

      JOHN L. MASON
   John L. Mason, inventor of the Mason fruit jar, died Wednesday...
   He was born in Philadelphia, seventy-six years ago.  He patented the screw
top jar in 1857.  Last year he patented an improvement on the jar.

(OED gives the patent as 1858--ed.)

AUTOMAT

   An ad for "MECHANICAL BAKERY AND AUTOMAT" first appears in the BROOKLYN
DAILY EAGLE, 7 April 1857, pg. 3.
   An interesting "automat" article is "Every Man His Own Waiter," BROOKLYN
DAILY EAGLE, 22 December 1902, pg. 6.