Cracker Jack (1888) Crackerjack (1893); Cookies

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 2 00:19:46 UTC 2003

CRACKER JACK

   Again, the  crackerjack RHHDAS has 1895.  I just checked, and the NEW YORK TIMES has earlier than the BROOKLYN EAGLE.  I'm still away from the American Periodical Series database (which will improve here when it adds PUCK).

   23 April 1888, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8:
   ...Charles Miller has four (horses--ed.), two of them being 2-year-olds he expects will become "Cracker Jacks."

   19 July 1891, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 20:
   They are both "cracker jacks."
(Runners--ed.)

   25 December 1893, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 10:
   Here is a list of seventeen crackerjacks, with the remarkable average of 2:10 3-5, nine pacers and eight trotters:...

MASON JAR

   The NEW YORK TIMES, 4 July 1865, pg. 6, has "Mason's fruit jars" mentioned in an ad.

COOKIES

   I was asked to help make the cookies.  Merriam-Webster and other sources have 1703, from the Dutch "koekje," or "little cake."  Pre-1700 takes us into EARLY ENGLISH BOOKS ONLINE territory, but I searched there without getting any cookies.

A COPIUS ENGLISH AND NETHERDUYTCH DICTIONARIE
by Henry Hexham
Rotterdam: Aernovt Leers
1648

_een Koeck_, A Cake.
_een koecksken_, A little Cake.

A NEW DICTIONARY
DUTCH AND ENGLISH
by Wm. Sewel
Amsterdam: Widow of Stephen Swart
1691

Pg. 163:
_de_ Koek, _Cake, ginger-bread_.
_de_ Koekebakker, _a Ginger-bread-baker_.
_het_ Koekje, _a Little Cake_.
Pg. 219:
_de_ Oli-koek, _an Oil-cake_.

A LARGE DICTIONARY
ENGLISH AND DUTCH
by W. Sewel
Amsterdam: Jacob ter Leek
1735 (Second edition of 1691 edition above--ed.)

Pg. 184:
KOEK (M.), _a Cake_.
   Koek (zorte koek), _Ginger-bread_.
   Een Pannekoek, _a Pan-cake_.
   Oli-Koek, _a Cake baked in rape-seed oil.
Koekebokker (M.), _a Ginger-bread-maker_.
Koekeeter (M.), _a Great lover of ginger-bread.
Koekje (N.), _a Little cake_.