Short Order (1900)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 3 23:28:09 UTC 2003

   "Short order" is a difficult one to do.  You get a lot of stock "orders" for people selling "short."  There are also plenty of other false hits.
   OED has 1906 "O. Henry" for "short order," then 1927 AMERICAN SPEECH for "short order restaurant" and 1928 for "short order cook."

   20 January 1900, FIELD AND STREAM (American Periodical Series), pg. 48:
   Naturally I was hungry, and cast about for a place to get something to eat in the village and fortune brought me to a little joint with "Short Order Lunch Room" over the door.
(This takes place in Chicago, so the full text CHICAGO TRIBUNE should be checked when that becomes available in short order--ed.)

   July 1901, McCLURE'S MAGAZINE (American Periodical Series), pg. 288:
   ...Miss Mullenix ruled personally in the eating-house and in the short order annex.

   28 December 1920, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 15 classified ad:
   ...one who has had experience in short order lunch or cafeteria...

   27 January 1924, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 12 classified ad:
   ...must be an experienced short order cook and able to make fine pastry...