Herkimer cheese (1835, 1845)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 7 06:36:08 UTC 2003

   "Herkimer cheese" (from Herkimer, NY) is not in the OED.  These are from the American Periodical Series.  Last etymology before parking tickets.

   7 November 1835, THE GENESEE FARMER AND GARDENER'S JOURNAL, pg. 357:
   Herkimer county is justly celebrated, not only for the quantity, but also for the superior quality of its cheese.  There is undoubtedly more cheese made in this county than any other county in the Union.

   June 1845, AMERICAN AGRICULTURIST, pg. 186:
   It is no small encouragement to know that Herkimer and some other of our dairy counties are successfully competing with Cheshire and Gloucestershire in the London markets, in the very article of cheese, for which the latter have been so long famous!

   October 1845, AMERICAN AGRICULTURIST, pg. 302:
   _Dairy Products._--This was superb display, principally from the county of Herkimer.  We counted 131 specimens of cheese of a superior quality--some of them weighing 240 lbs. or more, each.