Lowland Scots

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Mar 7 16:55:03 UTC 2003

And what's more, I discovered from the Lowlands-l web site that they've now
added Appalachian English to the list of languages discussed on the list--
another language spoken neither in Europe nor in an area normally described
as "lowlands."  My earlier lame flippancy aside, though, obviously the
definition works if you define a "lowlands" language as one that has its
ORIGINS in lowland northern Europe, regardless of where it may be spoken
today.

BTW, for anyone interested, lowlands-l is a serious list, whose
participants are mostly linguists--or at least it was when I signed myself
off several years ago before leaving on vacation.  I never rejoined, not
because it wasn't interesting, but because there was so much interesting
stuff that I couldn't keep up.

Peter Mc.

--On Thursday, March 6, 2003 7:21 PM -0600 "Salikoko S. Mufwene"

                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu