beyond the pail

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Fri Mar 7 17:54:42 UTC 2003

"crick" is a nice example of the power of accent prejudice because it is
in origin a Northern and Midland form (at least per Kurath 1949) whereas
the tense-vowel form predominated in the South. However, many people
associate 'crick' with the South, because, I would suggest, it has
become stigmatized and anything that sounds wrong must be southern.
The lax vowel variants of 'roof' and 'root' (which used to have a
similar regional distribution to 'crick') haven't attracted as strong a
stigma as 'crick'. I would guess this is because there are other "oo"
spellings with a lax vowel (e.g., book, look) whereas "ee" is usually /i/.