Igpay Atinlay

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sat Mar 8 18:47:12 UTC 2003

Gerald Cohen writes:
>1959 I. & P. OPIE Lore & Lang. Schoolch. xiv. 321 'Pig Latin'..thus:
>'Unejay ithsmay isay igpay' (June Smith is a pig).

>    This 1959 example comes well after the start of Pig Latin (first
>attestation: 1937; but assumed to have started prior to World War I).
>Still, maybe this sort of pig-example was spoken early on in Pig
>Latin.
~~~~~~~~
The pig latin of my late 30's eastern Nebraska childhood would have had a W
before the AY-suffix on words beginning with a vowel. Thus June Smith is a
pig would be "unejay ithsmay isway away igpay."
I'm quite sure I remember that my mother, born 1905, also had known this
version from her early childhood in St. Louis.
A. Murie