beyond the pail

Mon Mar 10 13:39:02 UTC 2003

Pail and bucket definitly overlap, but bucket seems to
be much broader;  e.g., bucket on a track-hoe or
excavator - never heard it called a pail.  Any of you
ever heard a bucket-line called a pail-line?.

--- Peter Richardson <prichard at LINFIELD.EDU> wrote:
> > In my family's (northeastern MA) parlance, the
> words are more or
> > less synonymous, though not interchangeable in
> certain
> > collocations (for example, "lunch pail" and "trash
> bucket").
>
> ...and the Honey Bucket (fiberglass privy) that's
> set up on construction
> sites is never referred to as the Honey Pail,
> either. ("Satisfaction
> guaranteed or double your honey back.")
>
> PR

These are called rocket boxes out here in Utah - I
believe in honor of a company that at one time
supplied most of them in this area.  Never heard them
called honey buckets - portable toilets or rocket boxes.

=====