Thoughts about the proposed book of Barry's material

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Mar 11 17:02:12 UTC 2003

    Since Michael Quinion has a MS in progress on the topic Ron
Butters an Larry Horn would like addressed, it seems best to wait for
the appearance of that book before starting what might be at least a
partial duplication of that work.

     The rebutting of false etymologies can proceed along two lines:1)
specifically addressing the issue of false etymologies (Michael
Quinion's book) and 2) preparing thorough studies of individual items
so that a single book would suffice to provide all the relevant
information.

      My main interest is in the second approach.  My 1991 monograph
on "The Big Apple" needs a revised edition to incorporate Barry's
material which has thus far appeared in various articles. Due credit
would of course be given, and Barry should be listed as co-author.
Similarly, the extensive material on "hot dog" needs to be compiled
into a book.

     This is all doable, it just takes time. Meanwhile, I remain open
to suggestions/input for possible worthwhile projects.

Gerald Cohen