One for the files? (on origin of "jazz")

Michael Quinion TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Tue Mar 11 20:05:58 UTC 2003

Gerald Cohen wrote:

>  Btw, I don't think I've ever encountered the derivation of "jazz"
> from the jasmine perfume used by prostitutes. Did Hilton Als advance
> the etymology himself or is he merely quoting from the book he's
> reviewing?

It is mentioned in several Web pages on jazz, especially this one:
http://users.netstarcomm.net/etjs/jazz_tidbits_and_other_things_by.htm, which
quotes one Garvin Bushell (who he? -Ed) as explaining:

> "They said that the French had brought the perfume industry with them
> to New Orleans, and the oil of jasmine was a popular ingredient
> locally. To add it to a perfume was called 'jassing it up.' The strong
> scent was popular in the red light district, where a working girl might
> approach a prospective customer and say, 'Is jass on your mind tonight,
> young fellow?' The term had become synonymous with erotic activity, and
> came to be applied to the music as well."

A neat bit of folk etymology ...

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words