Liberty Cabbage antedate

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Wed Mar 12 16:21:10 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:24:50 BaPopik wrote:

LIBERTY CABBAGE
     OED has the incredibly late 1927.  Obviously, it's WWI
stuff.  Anything else to look up?
     22 October 1918, WASHINGTON POST, pg. 5 ad:  _Kraut_ Now Known as
Liberty Cabbage.
quart. 15c

Just in case, I thought I'd point out that The New York Times database
antedates that by 6 months.

April 25, 1918, pg. 10,
"Sauerkraut May Be 'Liberty Cabbage'."

"Some of the dealers suggested that the name 'sauerkraut' be done away
with, and that the antipathy be avoided by calling it something like '
Liberty Cabbage,' or 'Pickled Vegetable'."

There's another in June - 6/2/1918, pg. 56, "The movement 'to give
expression to public sentiment and oppose Germany' is taking shape in the
opposition to study of German in elementary and secondary schools, in the
change from sauerkraut to 'liberty cabbage' and in various branches of art."

If there was something earlier I missed in the ADS archives, please inform me.

Thanks,

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times