Lowland Scots

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Wed Mar 12 22:26:07 UTC 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Peter A. McGraw wrote:

#And what's more, I discovered from the Lowlands-l web site that they've now
#added Appalachian English to the list of languages discussed on the list--
#another language spoken neither in Europe nor in an area normally described
#as "lowlands."  My earlier lame flippancy aside, though, obviously the
#definition works if you define a "lowlands" language as one that has its
#ORIGINS in lowland northern Europe, regardless of where it may be spoken
#today.

In that case, all varieties of English should qualify, or none.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania