Swinging Beef/Steak

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 13 01:19:50 UTC 2003

    From today's NY TIMES, courtesy of Dow Jones publications service:

Section (SE) Dining In, Dining Out/Style Desk; Section F
Column (CLM) RESTAURANTS
Headline (HD) Heading Out on a Southwestern Limb
Byline (BY) By William Grimes
Word Count (WC) 1,093
Publication Date (PD)  03/12/2003
Publication Name (SN) The New York Times
Source Code (SC)  NYTF
Page (PG) Page 8, Column 3
Category (CAT) Review
Copyright (CY) c. 2003 New York Times Company
Lead Paragraph (LP) SWINGING BEEF sounded like just the thing, ''a brace of pan-tanned bullberrie crisps with a chipotle salsa,'' as the menu has it. The waitress gave me a stricken look. ''Um, do you know what that is?'' she asked. No, I said, but ''pan tanned'' sounded enticing. ''They're bull testicles,'' she said. ''And actually, they're going off the menu this week.'' Not a huge demand, apparently.

   From the ADS-L archives:

Item #25432 (2 Sep 2002 19:43) - Roadfood (2002) and food regionalisms (LONG!)
Pg. 346 (Wolf Lodge Inn, Coeur d'Alene, ID): Cowboy-cuisine aficionados
like to start supper with a plate of "swinging steak"--sliced and crisp-fried
bull testicles, served with cocktail sauce and lemon wedges.