Buckaroo: supposed African origin

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Mar 13 18:35:09 UTC 2003

To piggyback on Larry's comment, here's another smidgen, this time from
Romon Adams's _Western Words_ (hardcover Univ. of Oklahoma Press, now
paperback Hippocrene Books 1998), p. 21:

BUCKAROO
A term used in the Northwest for cowboy. The terms baquero, buckhara, and
buckayro, each a perversion of either the Spanish word vaquero or boyero,
are also used (Philip A. Rollins, The Cowboy [NY, Charles Scribner's Sons,
1936], 39).

The syntax of this entry implies that boyero is something other than
Spanish; maybe Rollins had something African up his sleeve and was unable
or unwilling to de-sleeve it.

PR