Buckaroo: supposed African origin

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Fri Mar 14 02:30:22 UTC 2003

I don't know what the distribution of mbakara/buckra terms would have been
east of the Niger during the Atlantic slave trade era, but in the late 20th
c. buckra was fairly widespread in that area, commonly used by Igbos,
coastal and delta peoples, as well as Efik and Ibibio, so the filter for
West Africans in South Carolina at the time probably has to be widened
beyond Efik.

One of the more enthusiastic supporters of African etymologies has been
David Dalby.  He wrote a well known article for the London Times sometime in
the 60s, I think, in which he proposed African etymologies for, among
others, jazz, jam, honky, okay, cat, hep, hip, hepcat, etc.  Some of these,
notably "okay", have been pretty well debunked, but I've wondered about a
couple of things.  First, how much influence has Dalby had on popular
thinking about African etymologies?  Second, most times that I see African
etymologies mentioned it is to attack them.  Is there a bias against African
etymologies perhaps because of the difficulty of documenting them or for
other reasons?

Herb

At 05:22 PM 3/13/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>"*buckra -- 'white man,' esp. a 'poor or mean white man' (now rare in
>U.S., but still current in black Jamaican English);  hence also
>buckaroo, bucker ('cowboy' -- convergence with Spanish vaquero,
>'cowboy'; used derisively by black cowboys?) . Cf. Efik mbakara,
>'white man,' and related forms in a number of languages of
>southeastern Nigeria and southern Cameroon."
      This etymology raises a number of interesting problems, one of which
is whether the word was borrowed into Gullah after this variety was already
formed. This possibility would explain why the word-initial NC sequence has
lost the nasal... to make it more consistent with the English-like
phonology of Gullah. Then another question arises: what word was used
earlier for the same meaning, and why would "buckra" lose ground again to
"white (man)" later on? (Or, the etymology is correct, "buckra" never fully
replaced "white"...) The change of vowels in the other syllables (both in
Gullah and in English) is also curious. (In the case of Gullah, it is easy
to explain if the word came as a borrowing into a basically English
variety.) I have no problem with a convergence/congruence kind of
explanation, but I have had reservations about an exclusive African
etymology. One of the reasons is lack of historical documentation for
assuming a critical mass of Efik speakers either in South Carolina or in
Jamaica at the time of the development of their "creoles." Nothing places
them as part of the founder population either. However, there was a
presence of Spaniards in both places before the English took over (in the
mid-17th century in the case of Jamaica and in the late 17th century in the
case of SC).

Sali.