VARIETIES OF CHEESE (1908) (part one)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 14 03:47:36 UTC 2003

   This book arrived today from offsite (as all my NYPL books are nowadays).  It's a great book.
   Surprisingly, "Colby" is not here!  The CHEESE REPORTER was published in Wisconsin, from 1876.  One of the few libraries that has it is one in Madison, Wisconsin.  Maybe someone there might want "Colby" credit?
   I realize that not everyone in the American Dialect Society--and we had a president named "Butters"--is crazy about these cheese posts.  If cheese is not your cup of tea, just delete them.

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
BUREAU OF ANIMAL INDUSTRY--BULLETIN 103.

VARIETIES OF CHEESE:
DESCRIPTIONS AND ANALYSES.
by C. F. Doane and H. W. Lawson

Washington: Government Printing Office
1908

Pg. 69:
INDEX TO DESCRIPTIONS AND ANALYSES OF CHEESE.
(I'll leave off the page numbers and just run some details for a few cheeses.  If you want more detail, please ask--ed.)
Abertam
Albumin.  See Ziger.
Alemtejo
Algan.  See Limburg.
Algan Emmental.  See Emmental.
Alpin
Altenburg
Alt Kuhkase.  See Hand.
Altsohl.  See Brinsen.
Ambert
Ancien Imperial
Ancona.  See Pecorino.
Appenzell
Arnauten.  See Travnik.
Auvergne (or Avergne Bleu).  See Cantal.
Backstein (see also Limburg).
Banbury
Barbercy
Battlemat
Banden
Belgian Cooked
Bellelay
Bellunese.  See Emmental.
Bergquara
Bergues.  See Leyden.
Berliner Kuhkase.  See Hand.
Bleu (see also Gex; Sassenage; Septmoncel): Description, 9.
(Pg. 9:  BLEU.  The names Pate Bleu and Fromage Bleu are applied to several kinds of hard rennet cheese made from cow's milk in imitation of Roquefort cheese in the southeastern part of France.  Owing to the mottled, marbled, or veined appearance they are also designated Fromage Persille.  Among these are Gex, Sassenage, and Septmoncel.  This name is also applied locally to several more or less distinct kinds made in the regions of the Auvergne and Aubrac mountains and designated Bleu d'Auvergne, Cantal, Guiole or Laguiole, and Saint Flour.  Other cheese of this order mentioned as made in France are Queyras, Champoleon, Sarraz, and Journiac.)
Blue Dorset.  See Dorset.
Bondon (see also Neufchatel).
Boudanne
Boulette.  See Maroilles.
Box (firm)
Box (soft)
Bra
Brand
Brick: Description, 10; analysis, 56.
(Pg. 10:  BRICK.  The exact derivation of this name is not known.  It may have been adopted because of the shape, or because of the fact that bricks are used almost exclusively for weighting down the press.  Brick cheese is a rennet cheese made from unskimmed cow's milk, and is purely an American product.  In characteristics it is about halfway between Limburg nad Emmental.  It has a strong, sweetish taste, a sort of elastic texture, and many small round eyes or holes.  It is made about 10 by 6 by 3 inches in size.  There are many factories making this product, especially in southern Wisconsin. ...)