Will that be pop, soda or a soft drink?

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Sun Mar 16 02:05:42 UTC 2003

On the American "praw-gres": my guess is that this transcription results
from the 'cot/caught' merger, which is nearly universal in Canadian
English. Thus, the 'aw' spelling stands for both the 'o' of 'cot' and
the 'au' of 'caught'.
If they had transcriped it as "pra-gress" this might be misinterpreted
as /ae/.

As for 'pasta', maybe the author noted that the American pronunciation
differed from the Canadian, which has something like /ae/ for both
syllables, but noticed only the second syllable as having /a/; thus
assuming Americans say /paesta/. Just a guess.