Wurst (1767)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 16 22:09:49 UTC 2003

   OED and Merriam-Webster have 1855 for "wurst."  I had posted an 1820 citation.
   I'm going through the British and Irish Women's Letters and Diaries database for British and Irish food.  I struck out on "love in disguise," but here's the wurst:

Coke, Lady Mary Campbell. "Diary of Lady Mary Campbell Coke, August, 1767" [ Note]
Townshend. She had two sons by him, who died before her, so the title expired on her death in 1794. 34 At Wentworth Castle. 35 Wurst (pronounced Voorst)-- literally `a sausage'-- `a carriage in which people sit astraddle, or back to back' (Flügel's Dictionary). See ante, Aug. 4th. 36 Daughter of the first Earl of Deloraine, second son of the Duke of Monmouth. Her

Results Bibliography
Coke, Lady Mary Campbell, 1726-1811, Diary of Lady Mary Campbell Coke, August, 1767 in The Letters and Journals of Lady Mary Coke, v.2. Edinburgh, Scotland: David Douglas, 1889, pp. 440. [Bibliographic Details] [8-1-1767] S4483-D004