Metwurst (1833)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 16 23:09:13 UTC 2003

   Yeah, I screwed up on "wurst."  You should see how I struck out on "toast" in this database.  Not a great database.
   OED has 1895 for "mettwurst," even after the revision.

Papendiek, Charlotte Louise Henrietta... . "Memoir of Charlotte Louise Henrietta Albert Papendiek, 1833"
[Page 199 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
in his canonicals arrived, and the ceremony proceeded. I was also churched. Our first refreshment, tea, coffee, muffins, &c. The canonicals off, cards and music. Then our second repast, christening cake, caudle cups, egg wine, mountain and tent wine in decanters, German relishes of `Metwurst,' anchovies, &c., and their appendages, mulled beer, and a bowl of punch. The party consisted of Schräder, the German chaplain at St. James's, uncle, aunt, and two cousins, grandpapa and mamma, my brother and sister, Mrs. Pohl, Ungerland, and

Results Bibliography
Papendiek, Charlotte Louise Henrietta Albert, 1765-1839, Memoir of Charlotte Louise Henrietta Albert Papendiek, 1833 in Court and Private Life in the Time of Queen Charlotte: Being the Journals of Mrs. Papendiek, Assistant Keeper of the Wardrobe and Reader, to Her Majesty, v.1. Broughton, Mrs. Vernon Delves, ed.. London, England: Bentley & Son, 1887, pp. 331. [Bibliographic Details] [1833] S5012-D009