Lokshen/Luction

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 17 00:20:22 UTC 2003

In a message dated 06/12/2002 9:48:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Bapopik at AOL.COM (Judge Popik) writes:

>MEET THE FOLKS: A SESSION OF AMERICAN-JEWISH HUMOR
>with Sammy Levenson
>New York: The Citadel Press 1951
     <snip>
>   Or soup might contain _lokshen_, which hung like weeping willows over the
> _flaishigeh leffel_.  The excess _lokshen_ could either be sucked into the
> mouth or bitten into.

I don't know if "luction" is the same thing as "lokshen", but here goes:

_The Jewish Manual_ "edited by a Lady" (pseudonym of Lady Judith Montefiore),
London: 1846.  Available in a 1983 facsimile reprint by Nightingale Books,
New York, ISBN 0-911389-00-8.

page 118
<quote>
      A Luction, or a Rachael

Make a thin nouilles paste, cut into strips of about two inches wide, leave
it to day, then boil the strips in a little water, and drain through a
cullender;  when the water is strained off, mix it with beaten eggs, white
sugar, a little fresh butter, and grated lemon peel; bake or boil in a shape
lined with preserved cherries, when turned out pour over a fine custard, or
cream, flavored with brandy, and sweetened to taste.
</quote>

The OED2 has "lokshen" with citations from 1892, 1934, 1964, and 1969.  The
1892 citation (which is in the entry for "farfel") reads "Ferfel...are
Lockshen [like vermicelli] in an atomic state".  Also under "farfel" is a
citation from the Jewish Encyclopedia vol IV page 256 column 1, incorrectly
dated 1925 (vol IV of the Jewish Encyclopedia was issued in 1903.  "Lokshen
consists of flour and eggs made into dough, rolled into sheets, and then cut
into long strips.  Macaroni is an excellent substitute for it."

The JE is not perfect either.  In the same page 256 column 1 it gives _The
Jewish Manual_ a date of 1826 instead of 1846.

(Note to Jesse: I will submit all of the above to the OED).

            - Jim Landau

PS.  On "bread pudding" the OED2 has entires from 1723, 1783, 1883, and 1968,
none of which specify a type of bread or mention eggs or milk.