FW: Moxie (1885)

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Mar 20 11:02:09 UTC 2003

Shamelessly Motown-born,

Frank Abate

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 11:55 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Moxie (1885)

   The latest OED revision (March 2003)has "moxie."  It's stated that the
drink was made in "1884 or 1885."  I'd go with the trademark records that
say 1885.  However, today's NEW YORK SUN food section, 19 March 2003, pg.
15, col. 3, says: "There are also hard-to-find classics such as Vernor's, a
gingery blend that claims to be America's oldest soft drink, and my personal
favorite, Moxie, a New England soda that's been around since 1884 and claims
to cure nervousness, insomnia, and exhaustion."
   Hm, maybe I could use some right now...

Word Mark MOXIE
Goods and Services IC 032. US 045. G & S: NONALCOHOLIC, MALTLESS CARBONATED
BEVERAGE AND SIRUP FOR MAKING THE SAME. FIRST USE: 18850000. FIRST USE IN
COMMERCE: 18850000
Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number 71178054
Filing Date March 23, 1923
Registration Number 0189066
Registration Date September 9, 1924
Owner (REGISTRANT) MOXIE COMPANY, THE CORPORATION MAINE 61-71 HAVERHILL
STREET BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS
(LAST LISTED OWNER) MOXIE INDUSTRIES, INC. CORPORATION BY CHANGE OF NAME
FROM MASSACHUSETTS 2211 EAST ORANGEWOOD AVENUE ANAHEIM CALIFORNIA 92806

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Renewal 3RD RENEWAL 19850923