Vernor's. (Was Re: FW: Moxie (1885))

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Fri Mar 21 03:04:04 UTC 2003

Vernor's is now owned by 7Up and is still distributed in the Midwest, at
least
we can get it here in Central Indiana when the local grocery store chooses
stock it.  I've read that it's still the same recipe, but it doesn't taste
like
it did 50 years ago when we'd stop at the brewery on Woodward after a day at
Boblo.  But then what does.

Herb

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Sam Clements
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 8:11 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Vernor's. (Was Re: FW: Moxie (1885))

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Abate" <abatefr at earthlink.net>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 6:02 AM
Subject: FW: Moxie (1885)

> Adding to what Barry P says below, Vernor's is (or was) a Detroit
invention
> and a favorite in that city, and unavailable very far from Detroit in my
> experience.  You could not get Vernor's in Cleveland even, and no one
there
> even knew what it was, unless they were familiar with the Motor City.

Frank,

I moved to Akron, Ohio(30 miles South of Cleveland) in 1971.  I distinctly
remember seeing Vernor's ginger ale and creme soda in a deli in Cleveland in
1972.  I just emailed a buddy who has lived in No. Ohio since the 1960's and
he drank Vernor's growing up.

When did you live in Cleveland that you couldn't get Vernor's?

I'm almost certain that it has been available in the stores since I moved
here.  Continuously.

Sam Clements