Indian Summer, The Smoky Mountains, and pollution

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Mar 23 01:16:31 UTC 2003

If I have my facts straight, "Indian Summer" goes back in print to the late 1700's.  The cite from Mathews says "...a short interval of smoke and mildness."  What was the origin of the smoke?  Man-made or simply natural tree pollution?  Water vapor?

When did the Smoky's get their name?  Again, water vapor, tree pollution, or what?

When do the "Blue Ridge" mountains in Va. get their name?  Again, related to "blue" colored mists?